Life is Life

8.25.2015 Tuesday

Week one: check.

Cheers to many more to come. 

Surprisingly, I survived the first week with few crazy stories and embarrassing moments. Though I'm sure that will all change with time. 

Honestly, my life is a bit mundane and low key so I can't promise that I'll be updating my blog too often. Unlike my non-stop life in Chile, here I don't have as many activities and trips planned which means day-to-day I don't have much to write about. Not yet anyways. That's alright. Some down time is much appreciated. 

During my first week, school days have been pretty consistent. I wake up in the morning, eat breakfast at Daniel's, teach from 8;45 to 1:45, and then return to Daniel's for lunch. In the afternoons Kelsey and I lounge around the apartment, swim, workout to online exercise videos with Jillian Michaels, and/or, like today, walk around Callao, our neighborhood. 
I've been thinking about attempting to do some self-studying with my free afternoons. There's a great language app called Duolingo that I think may help me to reinforce Spanish vocabulary and grammar. I'm hoping that using an app like that as well as reading some books in Spanish will nourish my abilities only that much more. 

Yesterday, after classes and lunch, we went to the mall with Bea, Daniel's sister, and her daughter Berli. While there we bought not one, not two, but THREE mirrors for our apartment! I never knew I would be so thrilled to have such a basic commodity accessible every day. I was beginning to forget what I looked like... 

Appreciate the little things folks.*

The weekend was very nice. On Saturday morning Kelsey, Daniel, and I went to La Punta, a ritzy part of Callao that borders the Pacific Ocean. Many of the buildings and houses were gorgeous. Some of the architecture was very old and dated but well taken care of while others were modern and pristine. The contrast was alluring. 
Originally, we had planned to go into Lima on Saturday but because it is still unclear what exactly is affecting Daniel's mother's health we had to post-pone the trip so that they could meet with a doctor. Though there are unknowns surrounding her symptoms, it is clear that she is feeling much better. God-willing, answers will be provided and she'll feel re-energized in no time. 

Sunday was very enjoyable as all. We attended church and then Kelsey and I spent the afternoon walking around Callao by ourselves. This was the first time we had explored the area on our own and it was great to get a better feel for our new home. To finish off the evening, we ate tasty dishes at a Cevicheria (restaurant that specializes in seafood) and watched Men of Honor (in English with Spanish subtitles, of course) with Daniel's family. 

So, yes. Just because I'm living in a different country it doesn't mean every day is full of unforgettable adventures. In fact, I have been slightly bummed that I am not back at school enjoying all of the silly escapades that I'm sure all of my friends have been getting into. I miss my friends, my family, my school, and my busy life.

I know I keep waiting for that "ah-ha moment." The moment where I say to myself, "Yes! That's why I'm here!" I'm not so sure that some grand moment will ever come... And I've realized it doesn't need to. I don't need to do something completely brand new and wonderful everyday to have amazing experiences and grow as an individual. Even in the mundane, everyday my breath is taken away. I'm experiencing something that many people will never be able to and I will continue to learn so much. 

If anything, I've learned that people are people no matter where you are. No matter how many Social Studies or Spanish courses I took in both high school and college I was never able to understand that people are all the same even if we have different beliefs, practices, and backgrounds. I believe it's so easy to think people who live in different parts of the world are strange or weird or even don't have the same emotions that we do, maybe partly because we don't have the same customs as they do but probably even more so because there's a language barrier between us. 

Now that I am practically living with a Peruvian family, it's just obvious that life is life. I've seen the concern that pours into their eyes when they are worried about their mother and grandmother's health. I've watched them go about their daily routine. I've sensed when they are worn out after a long day. I've chuckled as they play with their dog and end up soaking their clothes in dog slobber. I've shared in their joys and laughed uncontrollably with them at bad jokes.

Possibly, life isn't like an adventure movie here, but I didn't really expect it to be. Instead, it's just life and that's beautiful.

Ciao!

"Remember, you and you alone are responsible for maintaining your energy. Give up blaming, complaining and excuse making, and keep taking action in the direction of your goals - however mundane or lofty they may be."
-Jack Canfield

En cada lugar, la vida es la vida.


*The ever growing list of little things I take/took for granted everyday includes: mirrors, warm water, carpets, American food, texting, toilet seats (no joke), soap and toilet paper in bathrooms, clean tap water, closets, and real milk. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tough Game

Rule #32: Enjoy the Little Things

Bienvenidos a Peru