Don't Look Back

9.11.2015 Friday

I love Peruvian food. 

I feel obliged to mention this as I don't think I really have written about the amazing-ness that is breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but the cuisine definitely has it's moments. Beautiful, shining, mouth-watering moments. 

I have tried so many new foods and culinary creations. Day-to-day meals are usually pretty consistent - chicken, rice, potatoes - but each meal is embellished with different seasonings and sauces and it's so fresh that it's just incredibly tasty. The fruits and vegetables are the freshest and juiciest you could ever eat. The juices and smoothies are made fresh every day. The meat is bought at the market moments before it's prepared.* The combination of spices is tantalizing. And, the desserts, naturally, never disappoint. I could list everything I've had the pleasure of tasting, but half of them have super bizarre names that you've never heard of, nor can pronounce, and the other half is just not that interesting. Most notably: Anticuchos. Thin slices of grilled cow heart. Soooo delicious, I kid you not.

But though some consider the food in Peru to be some of the best in the world (Fun Fact courtesy of Daniel), there is really nothing that will ever top a perfectly cooked cheeseburger. Needless to say, this past Saturday when Daniel took us out for a day of adventure, we were very excited to learn that this included an American lunch at none other than Chili's.

You can take the girl out of the U.S.A. but... 

On Saturday, to start the day off, Daniel took Kelsey and I to the Fortaleza Real Felipe in Lima. 
It was a pretty interesting tour of the fort. More than anything, it was neat to see how the city of Lima had grown around this protective, colonial construction. Even inside of the fort's walls there were newly built buildings! It was fascinating to see the old and new converge. 
 
However, as with any sort of colonization, many people suffered and died brutal deaths in the fort, especially natives. We had the chilling privilege to walk through one of the narrow passages where many prisoners were kept cramped together, often until they died. I don't really know how to describe the emotions that I felt as I morphed into the pack of shuffling feet and blindly felt my way through the passageway... It was very eye-opening.
After we finished our tour of the fort, we headed to Chili's for the aforementioned feast of cheeseburgers, french fries, and Mojitos. Needless to say, we were very happy, carb-fueled, gringas after that. 

Daniel had one more surprise for us to finish the day and we honestly had no idea what to expect. All he told us is, "Ahora vamos a jugar!" (Now we are going to play!)

Well, turns out that he took us to a place called Coney Park (very similar to Boondocks, if you've ever been there). There were arcade games, kiddie coasters, bumper cars, a virtual roller coaster, and various other games. It was an absolute blast! Even if Daniel did beat me at air hockey... 
Kelsey sought revenge for me and beat Daniel in the next game.

Monday and Tuesday were full of prep work to prepare for the next trimester which begins on this upcoming Monday, September 14. Though there have been days when we don't accomplish much due to lack of organization and communication, Kelsey and I are excited to finally start doing what we came here to do!

Wednesday was another day full of excursions and explorations! First, Daniel took us to the Larco Museum which is home to nearly 40,000 pre-Inca pieces of pottery and artisanal crafts. 
The grounds themselves are lovely as they are extremely well kept and bursting with flowers and plants.
Absolutely gorgeous!

The tour was fascinating to me. In comparison to other ancient cultures that were situated in the Middle East (I took a class on this last year - excuse the nerd moment), I was intrigued to learn that though some practices were different, many of the cultures' core beliefs were similar and stemmed from the same logic. Though literally oceans apart, all ancient peoples had a basic understanding of the world and sought answers to their questions in nature, often reaching the same conclusions. 
 Ancient Peruvians would tie knots on these strings as a way of keeping records of various files, such as populations and harvests.
A ceremonial knife used for sacrifices and the bowl that the victim's blood was collected in.

But enough on that history lesson. Here's a picture of the "casket" of a V.I.P. (Very Important Peruvian). Encased within this "body" (which, let's be honest, looks like a giant pillow wearing a gold face mask) is a body crouched in the fetal position. It appears, from X-Ray scans, that the person inside died due to some sort of swelling in his brain. The history nerd in me was way too excited about this. I mean, there's a MUMMY in there!
I digress. 

The Larco Museum is actually world famous for it's erotica section. Yup, erotica. So that wasn't uncomfortable or awkward or anything to look at ancient ceramics of natives getting it on. I mean, it was totally comfortable, especially with Daniel there!

Sorry folks, but I decided not to take pictures of that... unique art collection. 

Anyway, that evening we also ventured to Miraflores with Daniel. Miraflores is a very upscale, affluent district of Peru that tourists enjoy visiting. It goes without saying that this area is stunning.
Basically, there is a very long walking area next to parks and playgrounds that are next to cliff edges, that are next to the sandy beaches, that are next to the Pacific Ocean. So, yeah, it's kinda pretty, some might say. Including myself.
As the sun set, we walked and had some great talks with Daniel. During our stroll, we saw children playing, skateboarders, bikers, people playing tennis, runners, surfers in the icy waters, and people enjoying the scenery. Along the path is a special Park of Love which was full of couples. A large statue of a poor man kissing his wife sits in the middle of the park and the rest of the area is surrounded by carefully sculpted benches covered with small colorful tiles. The colored tiles form designs, quotes about love, and even the names of some couples. It was adorable. 
Translation: Poetry can make venom sweet. 

From here, we went to dinner at a restaurant called San Antonio's which Daniel told us is often graced with the presence of "people on TV." As far as I know, no one famous was there, but the sandwiches and our creamy desserts were delectable!

Yesterday, we were able to go shopping with Bea (Daniel's sister), Berli (Bea's daughter), Wes (Berli's boyfriend), and Roberto (Daniel's brother) in a marketplace full of cheap clothes. I would've loved to take pictures of the packed streets of vendors and shoppers as well as small store fronts, however, our Peruvian family warned us to be careful with our phones and purses. Obviously I thought it best to leave my phone tucked away in my purse. It was absolutely insane how many stores there were (surely hundreds, maybe even a thousand) let alone how many people were shopping midday on a Thursday. Needless to say, shopping took nearly the whole day - as it always should. 

All in all, I am starting to feel much more comfortable in Peru, which I am incredibly thankful for. I can tell that I am adjusting, that I am feeling more at ease and becoming more open, with every passing day. 

Sometimes, I still find myself looking around while wearing my "privileged-American" googles and thinking to myself that I wouldn't really want to live here. But, then I'm like, haha - reality check - you do live here. 

I simply cannot comprehend that my life is now in South America. 

Yet, the shock I felt upon arriving has faded and as time has passed I've become defensive of my new life. I understand that where I am living does not appear impressive or picturesque really...But it has become special to me; it has become home. And isn't that really how it should be? 

Each day as I walk through my little neighborhood here, there is always something new that strikes me as beautiful. 
All of the little details of daily life that we take for granted are amazing; but I know it's the experiences I have had and will have with the people that I love here that make this Peruvian life so extraordinary.

I miss home all the time. In nine months, I'll miss Peru, too. I can remember all of the great times I've had with friends and family in the States, and I can miss them. It would be weird if I didn't. If I've learned anything about myself from traveling it's that returning home to the people I love most is the most important aspect of my life. Being with "my people" brings me the greatest joy I've ever known and is what makes me who I am.

So, I miss them. But now, I have family here as well who will be incredibly difficult to leave someday. The best thing I can do now is focus on the here and now and what God has planned for me in Peru. I can't wait to find out what all that includes.

Ciao!

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why it's called the present."

No mira detrás.


*You eventually learn to not think about the fact that the vendors leave the chickens plucked and hanging on the front of their carts in the open-air sans refrigeration. See why it's amazing that I never got "I'm going to live in the bathroom for the next three days" sick?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tough Game

Rule #32: Enjoy the Little Things

Bienvenidos a Peru