Back at it

You would think I'd be used to this whole traveling abroad thing by now.

I am so clearly not.

Every time it's such an emotional roller coaster. From packing, to researching the area, to saying goodbye to friends and family, to having layovers and switching planes. It's exciting and sad and new and fun and scary all at the same time.

Especially since I'm in Argentina to study Spanish. This is now the second time I've signed a Spanish-only contract - the first one signed two years ago now for a similar immersive trip to Chile. Now, I will admit, it was not near as daunting this time. I reread my first ever blog post (On a plane) and recalled my achingly painful feelings of dread and uncertainty.

I have come so far.

Regardless, I think anyone who has personally studied a second language can admit that there is always a desire to improve and be better. It's the nature of the beast - you constantly battle to advance your comprehension only to realize that there are more grammatical forms you can work on, vocabulary you could know, and fine-tuning pronunciations you should correct.

It's intense.

It's exhausting.

It's disheartening.

It's challenging.

It's worth it.

So, yeah, I was a little nervous beginning my fourteen hour trip to Buenos Aires. I was hesitant to have to use my imperfect Spanish in front of native speakers - a fear you would think I would have overcome by now. I was preoccupied with the realization that I still have so much to work on.

And then, some divine intervention happened.

As I approached the desk to scan my ticket for my direct flight from Houston to Buenos Aires, I overheard that the seat of the passenger in front of me had changed. I could see the confusion on the gentleman's face as he furrowed his brows and glanced back and forth between his ticket and the clerk at the kiosk.

"Habla espanol, Senor?"

Closing the lid on my apprehensions led to three little words which started a short conversation with this Spanish-speaking man. It wasn't a long, complex, intellectual conversation, but a brief, basic, direct exchange.

Still, playing translator reminded me why I was headed to Buenos Aires. It demonstrated the time, energy, and dedication I had made in the past. It reminded me of the abilities I already possess with the language. It assured me that my future includes nurturing my Spanish proficiency.

And, just like that, I felt more at ease and ready for the adventure that lay in front of me. I found my seat, popped in my headphones, and easily fell asleep, content to wake up the next morning in South America.


Ciao!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tough Game

Bienvenidos a Peru

Rule #32: Enjoy the Little Things