I Need More Time

6.7.2015 Sunday

How is it even possible that two weeks have already flown by? Three weeks left in this beautiful place? It breaks my soul... my SOUL. It is an incredible and atrocious feeling to long to be in two places simultaneously. But I suppose that's the point of this, right? Growing up, discovering who I am, and allowing God to guide me to where I need to go. So for now, I need not occupy myself with these thoughts but rather savor my time here and absorb the splendor which surrounds me. 

Last Sunday, June 1st, I was still visiting the coast with my school group. Saturday we visited Valparaiso (see last post) and Sunday was dedicated to exploring Vina del Mar. We woke up in the morning, ate a breakfast at the hotel of bread, jam, and tea (very typical), and then walked to the famous Reloj de los Flores (flower clock) in Vina del Mar. 
The rest of the day was filled with walking around the town. We visited the Anfiteatro Quinta Vergara, a colossal stadium that hosts an international song festival every year in February. The amphitheater is  made of rock, creating cleaner and louder sound, very similar to Red Rocks in Colorado, except man-made. In the park that surrounds the concert hall, there was a car show going on, so of course we took the opportunity to glance at some classics, antique firetrucks, and flat-out unusual vehicles.



We headed to lunch at the same seaside restaurant we had dined at the day before and enjoyed another gigantic and spectacular meal. After, we headed to the beach to enjoy the waves and buy goods from the local vendors. One thing I love about Chile: there are many artisans and very often while browsing their products you can watch them perform their craft. It's very authentic.

Naturally, it was beautiful. Oh, and on one of the vendor's blankets I even found this:
Luther, he's everywhere.

Exhausted from a very enjoyable and busy weekend, we boarded the bus and returned to Santiago.


The school week was fairly normal and somewhat relaxed. On Monday, some of us went with a couple of teachers to local markets. In a very large building, various vendors have small sections set up with fruits, vegetables, nuts, meats, and fish, like a mini-store. The dirt floor and animals, such as cats and dogs wandering around the building, definitely made the market not up to U.S. standards. 


It also was not a safe neighborhood for foreigners. Upon exiting the subway and climbing the stairs to the street, a man selling churros was kind enough to motion to me that I should keep my backpack on my front so that it would not be stolen. In this part of Santiago everything was less clean, the people more poorly dressed, and there was an overall feeling that it was not a place to go after dark. However, I'm glad I saw it. Poor neighborhoods exist everywhere and I'd rather be aware of other peoples' struggles than blind to them. Just another eye-opening experience. 


While in this part of town, we also went to a restaurant for terramotos. Terramotos (Spanish for earthquakes) are a Chilean drink made with Pisco, white wine, and pineapple ice cream. Astrid, our guide and one of the most loving and hard-working people I've ever met, told us that it is called terramoto because after one you won't be able to walk straight, like an earthquake. Elizabeth and I made the wise decision to split one. It was delicious and the next time your in Chile, I'd highly recommend it. But please, stick to just one.



Tuesday we had nothing planned. However, in the evening some of the students and teachers from the school met at a park right next to my apartment to play soccer. Though not my favorite sport nor my strongest skill, I decided to play. After all, when in Chile you have to play fútbol at least once. Plus, I played with Chileans, Colombians, Brazilians, New Yorkers, and Englishmen. Where else in the world am I going to have the opportunity to do that? It was very fun and only slightly embarrassing... I did leg sweep a girl on accident when we were both fighting for the ball. I mean, she fell pretty hard but I said I was sorry and she said she was okay so.....
Wednesday we toured El Museo de la Memoria y de Los Derechos Humanos. It's a museum located in Santiago that opened within the last few years. It's purpose is to educate people about the tragedy and suffering that occurred in Chile for many years throughout the 1970s all the way up to 1990 and to fight for human rights. In a brief summary, on September 11, 1973 Augusto Pinochet led a coup d'etat against then Marxist President Salvador Allende. Pinochet became the dictator of Chile and during the following years many persons disappeared. It was an incredibly frightening time for the country and many families still do not know whatever happened to their loved ones. It was truly tragic to see the museum. 

In the museum, there was a wall with thousands of pictures of persons who went missing or were murdered under Pinochet's rule. Some of the frames were left empty for the persons who are unaccounted for. It tore me apart. However, I believe there were two parts of the museum that bothered me most:
1. a metal bed frame which had been used to torture people with electricity.  
2. a wall dedicated to the efforts of other countries around the world who have suffered the same kinds of persecution and are now searching for answers to what happened to their loved ones. Thirty countries were a part of this wall that included descriptions as well as pictures of families holding photos of their loved ones in the direction of the camera, a missing person's notice. 

A spoiled American, I take my good life for granted. Growing up, we learn about how wicked people like Hitler and Stalin were. Yet, in our same hemisphere we have/had people just as atrocious that I knew nothing about before a week ago. The suffering that many South Americans have endured is just as horrific and painful as the misery of the people in the Eastern Hemisphere. It's shocking to learn about these things as well as realize that they're still happening. We need to stop obsessing over topics like Caitlyn Jenner and focus on the numerous people around the world in despair and dying. But maybe that's a rant for a different day...

Unfortunately, the museum did not allow photos inside, but even the outside is a lovely memorial to the Chilean families who were persecuted.


On a lighter note, we also had some bomb-diggity homemade ice cream on Wednesday from a cute little Cafe. I ordered plantain y manjar, which is basically banana and dulce de leche. Chilean sweets are on point. Yum.
Thursday and Friday were very mellow days, much needed after a busy first week and weekend. Both days Elizabeth and I went shopping in the markets. Again, the artistry is amazing. Copper engraved rings, sweaters made with Alpaca fur, warm scarves, hand-painted chess sets... I want to buy it all! But then I wouldn't have money to eat so I suppose that's not a wise idea... 

One of the markets was located in Santa Lucia, a district of Santiago. It was absolutely huge! Here I bought many gifts for my family, so of course I can't elaborate. Not that they're actually reading this... We will have to return because there is just so much to see. Plus, I mean, shopping. It's what we do. 

Friday night, Elizabeth and I decided to stay in, split a bottle of wine, and watch some TV. There's just something about American movies dubbed in Spanish that just makes them significantly better. It was a nice night of relaxing that was much appreciated before hiking the Andes on Saturday. But more on that later.

Ciao!

Tres semanas más no es bastante...






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tough Game

Rule #32: Enjoy the Little Things

Bienvenidos a Peru