Tick Tock...

6.24.2015 Wednesday

I have two days of classes left. No. I refuse to accept this as fact. I just started this whole thing like yesterday, right? How can my flight be on Saturday? I still have so much to learn, to see, to say, to experience... 

And, maybe that's why I have Peru. Looking back, I can't honestly tell you why I agreed to travel to Peru starting in August for nearly nine months. It's similar to how I really can't tell you how I ended up at MLC. It's kinda fuzzy... I can throw out a few basic reasons but it's not like there was some big over-arching "I HAVE TO DO THIS OR MY LIFE WILL BE INCOMPLETE!" moment. I think it's these memories, the hazy ones about life altering decisions, which demonstrate the times when God's holding our hand and leading us down the right path. Boy, am I sure glad he knows what he's doing. He definitely knew that my Chilean Adventure simply would not be enough to tame my restless soul. I've caught wanderlust folks, and I don't think it's curable. 

Saturday evening, when it was still light out, the MLC group headed to the mountains to saddle up some horses and hit the trail. I rode Bandera, and he was by far the most handsome of the horses. 

Clearly. 

A black and white pinto with a brown nose, he was majestic. Ironic considering I always wanted a pinto as a little girl. Dreams do come true!

For me, there's this indescribable emotion when I'm around horses. It's just so unbelievably peaceful and the connection and trust between horse and rider is palpable, one of the most powerful feelings. Naturally, these emotions combined with the quiet of the mountains, the clacking of hooves on the trail, the clear starry sky, and the speckled glow of the city lights was magical. 
Well, for me anyways.

We had a few accidents during our trail ride. Nothing too serious (thankfully), but still events that were unnecessary. It became clear upon arriving at the stables that our ride was not going to be like a trail ride in the U.S. We didn't wear helmets, we weren't given any instructions, and the horses were slightly misbehaved and never walked in a single-file line - every horse wanted to be the leader. With a group of nearly 30 people, the possibility of chaos was high. Given my background with horses, I felt safe because I was always prepared for the worst, however there were many who were riding for the first time and at night. Not a good situation. It's fortunate that the worst that happened was a horse darting under a tree causing his rider to cut his face on some branches. 

Still, overall, the calbagata (Spanish for trail ride) was one of my favorite activities of this whole trip. The views, the horses, an asado on the trail, the stars - it was the stuff of my dreams.

Sunday, some of us returned to church to worship again. Regrettably, there were few Chileans who attended. Pastor Tim explained to us that it is rare for Chileans to attend church two Sundays in a row. Nevertheless, it was wonderful to spend some time in God's Word and Pastor Tim even gave each of us a small devotional book in Spanish. To top it off, his wife prepared corn bread and chili for us to eat. Yes, we ate CHILI in CHILE. Funny, considering that Chileans don't like the stuff. Perks of visiting a church with an American pastor I suppose.
After church, Elizabeth and I browsed the mall at La Cisterna. La Cisterna is the subway stop which is closest to the church so we figured we might as well explore while in the area. Built above the subway tunnels is a mall. Unfortunately, the mall was quite tiny and didn't have any stores worth going into, every floor nearly identical to the last. Nonetheless, we took the opportunity to indulge in some french fries and ice cream. Chili, fries, and soft serve. How American of us. 
Monday turned out to be more exciting than planned. At the school, after classes, there was a wine tasting. 

Mom, don't read the next paragraph. 

Elizabeth and I are trying to have a drink everyday to toast my last week in Chile. We started on Friday with terremotos while watching Chile win the soccer game, wine on Saturday with our dinner during the calbagata, Mango Sour from Lider (Chilean Walmart) Sunday evening, the wine tasting on Monday, and more terremotos from a bar last night. You go liver! Cheers to you!
Okay, Mom, you can start reading here. ;)

The terremotos pictured above were courtesy of a nice gent at the bar. Though we didn't plan on having a second round, he had the drinks made for us WITHOUT BEING A CREEP. All he really said was "Welcome to Chile," and then left us alone. He wasn't making a move but being a genuinely nice person. Thank you, kind sir. We need more people like you in the world.

The wine tasting was quite fun. Great conversations, delicious wines, and even some cheese and crackers. Cheese, you guys! CHEESE! Chileans just don't eat the stuff as much as us unhealthy American folks. I'm gonna eat the stuff for days when I arrive home. 
Last night, we traveled on the subway to a home for boys who are unable to live with their parents for various reasons ranging from the parents simply can't afford to care for their children to addictions to abuse. Going into it, it was upsetting to know that these little fighters have already dealt with so much in life, but getting to know them a little bit was heartwarming. We played soccer, ate a dinner of cheeseburgers(!) together, and then went back outside to play more soccer. It's apparent that they are searching for affection. Some of the boys would cling onto the students (often the males) in our group. Sad to see but so wonderful to be able to volunteer with such strong and fiery boys. 


In just a little bit I'll be heading off to a bar with a group of friends to watch Chile play Uruguay. For the losing team, it's all over. Sure to be a time full of drinks, great conversations, laughs, and a lot of nail biting and screaming. Vamos Chile!

Ciao!

"There's a race of men that don't fit in,
A race that can't sit still;
So they break the hearts of kith and kin, 
And they roam the world at will.
They range the field and rove the flood, 
And they climb the mountain's crest;
Their's is the curse of the gypsy blood,
And they don't know how to rest."
- Robert W. Service

No es un mundo extrano. Es un mundo nuevo. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tough Game

Rule #32: Enjoy the Little Things

Bienvenidos a Peru